The imprisoned and detained,
the maimed, defamed and misnamed,
the faces on the other side of the wall,
they are not strangers at all,
but the rest of us.— Steve Garnaas-Holmes
Be a Witness for ONEness!
- LtQ 2.0 – Lives of Jesus
- Chapman University Founder’s Day
- Calling All Women!
- Green Chalice Tips
- Prayer Collage – New Year, New Vision, New Prayers!
- Change the Game with Souper Bowl of Caring
- Call for Variety Show Acts!
- Opening News
- Upcoming Events
Be a Witness for ONEness!
General Assembly 2017
Worship that lifts your soul.
Stories that touch your heart.
Educational resources to assist your congregation in ministry.
Conversations that stretch your mind.
Messages that call you to action.
Connections that remind you that God’s family is bigger than a local congregation.
All this and more in five short days!
In July we will gather as ONE for the 2017 General Assembly in Indianapolis, July 8-12. Thousands of Disciples gather from across the United States and Canada to demonstrate our unity in service to the Christ. We will worship, hear inspiring messages, elect a new General Minister and President, hear about the results from Mission First! initiative, and learn together.
Bible studies on the theme text (John 17:20-21a) from scholars at Disciple-related seminaries are available online so you can go deeper into the scripture.
One of the last things Jesus did with his disciples was to bless them with the priestly prayer that appears in John 17. He prayed that, “I’m praying not only for them, but also for those who will believe in me because of them and their witness about me. The goal is for all of them to become one heart and mind.” (The Message)
Early registration discounts expire April 1, so get registered today for a 20 percent savings at http://disciples.org/ga
Living the Questions 2.0 (LtQ2) | Adult Study Class
Chapter 5 Lives of Jesus
Sundays 8:30 a.m. – Fireside Room
Focus for February 5: From divergent opinions on Jesus’ “program” to the reasons for his having been killed, the many portrayals of Jesus in the gospels, in various traditions, theologies, and the arts, amount to a Jesus who lived many different lives—each of which helps us in teasing out what it means to be a disciple of this mysterious and profoundly significant phenomenon called Jesus of Nazareth.
Click here to download a copy of Chapter 5. Get a copy from the office.
Chapman University’s Founders Day
Chapman University will hold our 33nd Annual Founders Day, March 10-11, 2017. The two day event held on the Orange, CA campus has many strong options for participants to enjoy:
- The featured speaker is Michael Kinnamon, former head of the National Council of Churches, ecumenical leader and educator. He will do lectures on Friday, March 10 addressing the climate of fear that pervades American culture and how Christianity and all of the major world’s religions call us to resist the power of fear in our lives.
- The featured preacher on Saturday morning, March 11 is Frank Thomas, professor of homiletics at Christian Theological Seminary in Indianapolis. He will also do a preaching workshop for ministers that same day.
- We will honor the Nora Jacob as Disciples Church Leader of the Year and the Matt Balin and Tracy Halter-Balin as the United Church of Christ Church Leaders of the Year.
- A Saturday afternoon panel, March 11, of leaders of various world religions to dialogue with Dr. Kinnamon on his topic.
- Workshops on Saturday morning for prospective students and their parents.
- A big reunion event—a Saturday late afternoon Chappy Hour for all alumni, Disciples on Campus parents and prospective parents and friends.
Online registration can be found at www.chapman.edu/founders-day. You are invited to come for both days, but you may also elect only a single option. Questions or needing assistance with online registration? Please call the Office of Church Relations at 714.997.6760. And we are serious—do not let the cost of registration keep you away. If you need a scholarship, please ask for it!
Calling all Women!
Cost is $25 but Disciples Women is providing scholarships of the full $25 for anyone attending.
If we have enough women going Jenice will drive the church van. We will meet on the morning of February 11 at 7:15 a.m. for all who want to go in the van or carpool.
Please let Barbara Post know you are planning to go from the church so we don’t leave you behind.
Register at: http://www.disciplespswr.org/disciples-women-1
Green Chalice Tip
Let Your Fingers Do the Walking—Online
Consider if you really need a paper phone book. If not, call to stop phone book delivery and use an online directory instead. Some estimate that telephone books make up almost ten percent of waste at dump sites. And if you still receive the book, don’t forget to recycle your old volumes.
Give It Away
Before you throw something away, think about if someone else might need it. Either donate to a charitable organization or post it on a web site designed to connect people and things, such as Freecycle.org.
Prayer Collage – New Year, New Vision, New Prayers!
Wednesday, February 1
6:00-7:30 p.m., Worship & Wonder Room (South of Fireside Room)
What are your dreams for 2017? Do you have anything visual to remind you of those hopes?
During January’s prayer collage session, the first of 2017, energy was buzzing around our Vision Boards. We pondered how God might be calling us, and sought to put our ponderings into a collage that we can continue to ponder and pray with! For most of us, it became a work in progress; some people may bring them back to share or continue work at February’s session.
Change the Game with Souper Bowl of Caring
We are involved in Souper Bowl of Caring because it is a simple and meaningful way to unite people around important issues, such as hunger, poverty and homelessness. Souper Bowl of Caring empowers young people to lead the movement in their local community, believing that no one is too young to make a difference. We are requesting the following donation items:
- Peanut Butter and Jelly – which will be donated to Sunday Night Together dinner ministry
- Cash or Check (written to “FCCO” with “Souper Bowl” in the memo) – which will be given to the Friendly Center
Bring your donations on Sunday, February 5, and look for a table for food items and youth and children with soup pots to collect your donations!
Call for Variety Show Acts!
March 19 will be our annual Variety Show, including acts of many kinds from many ages (including adults, too). This is our big fundraiser for Summer Camp scholarships, Youth Work Tour, and other youth and children’s ministry programming. Now is the time to be thinking of acts! Brainstorm, choose, and practice your act now! Variety Show auditions will take place in February.