WE LOVE BECAUSE GOD FIRST LOVED US 1 John 4:19
STEPHEN MINISTRY IN OUR CONGREGATION
“Christ caring for people through people.”
STEPHEN MINISTRY IS…
- a CONFIDENTIAL caregiving program offered in our congregation that teaches church members essential intellectual, emotional and spiritual skills by which they provide compassionate Christian one-to-one care to those who are in need.
- a nurturing process that illuminates and reconfirms our place in the world as Christians and enables the caring relationship and our entire congregation to grow and be transformed in Christ’s love.
- an expression of God’s love that can turn crisis into opportunity.
The purpose of Stephen Ministry is to make the concept of “the church family” into a reality by providing comfort and support to those church members going through any crisis transition. Stephen Ministers are members of our church who feel called to volunteer to walk with their fellow church members as they journey in their lives. These people will have completed a 5 month course designed to teach them the knowledge and skills needed to serve those who need their support
Requesting a Stephen Minister
No one will be forced to receive the comfort and support of a Stephen Minister and will be assigned one only if they request one. Upon that request, the Stephen Ministry Coordinator, one who helps train and supervise the Stephen Ministers, will make referrals.
If you are in need of a Stephen Minister or know someone who is, or want to learn more about this caregiving program, please call (714) 538-2564, or write us at:
First Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
1130 E. Walnut Ave. Orange, CA 92867
All inquiries will be kept confidential.
STEPHEN MINISTERS ARE COMMITTED PERSONS WHO…
- have a heart for helping those in need.
- express God’s care by caring for and serving others.
- are commissioned to serve after completing an initial fifty hours of training in caring ministry skills and concepts.
- are regularly supervised under the guidance of the trained Stephen leaders.
- visit another person regularly and dependably and offer Christian support and friendship.
- are committed to preserving the CONFIDENTIAL nature of the caring relationship. Those receiving care can be sure that their identity and shared experiences will remain private.
- ENCOURAGE AND STRENGTHEN EACH OTHER 1 Thessalonians 5:11
- serve for at least two years.
- receive continuing education and skill-building throughout their years of service.
STEPHEN MINISTERS CARE FOR THOSE WHO ARE…
- suffering from depression or loneliness.
- recently hospitalized.
- individuals and families facing serious or terminal illness.
- grieving a death or other loss.
- experiencing a problem pregnancy, birth or adoption.
- separated or divorced and their families.
- facing a difficult life transition.
- experiencing job loss, business or financial crisis.
- experiencing spiritual crisis.
- needing the support of a Christian friend.
… and more.